Sunday 19 August 2012

Mr Wolf Pizza Dough

Mr Wolf Pizza Dough

It has been ages since I started this blog - but I am yet to post a recipe. Not that I haven't been thinking about it. I have. Thinking about which recipe will be first cab off the rank. I just haven't been able to make a decision...

So, a few weeks ago I came across this recipe by Karen Martini and it has been on extra high rotation since. Like constant rotation.  So it has become my premiere recipe! 




It is the semolina-flour mix plus the extra fancy addition of mineral water to this pizza dough mix that makes this one (in the words of Jamie Oliver) THE BUSINESS.

This recipe makes six medium pizzas  - in our house a medium is a one person (or two small people) pizza. I roll up the excess pizza dough into portioned balls, wrap in glad wrap and freeze.  Makes a super quick dinner any time.

Karen Martini also suggests making grissini with the left over dough - I haven't done this yet, but I will...

Oh and get yourself a pizza stone to turn your kitchen into a pizzeria. I bought ours a few years ago from Barbeques Galore (don't ask why...) and it even came with a crazy large pizza spatula. 

For a cheat's tomato sauce I whizz together 1 tin of tomatoes, whatever herbs are handy (fresh or dried) and a couple of cloves of garlic with a stick mixer. Easy.  I have even been known to blitz up some spinach into it to give to the kids (but that is just a crazy mother thing to do...)Then I freeze the excess for another time - again helps to make a quick dinner.

Ingredients


800g flour
250g semolina
20 grams salt
2 sachets dry yeast (14 gs)
600mL mineral water
50mL olive oil


Method
Whisk the yeast, mineral water and oil together and set aside.

Combine the flour, semolina and salt (preferably in a mixer with a dough hook). Add the yeast-water-oil mixture. Work together until it makes a soft dough.  

Keep working in mixer or by hand until you create a soft, smooth, springy dough.

Work the dough into a ball, place in a bowl, cover and place into a warm spot to prove for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat the oven (and pizza stone if you have one) to as hot as your oven goes. Mine is 220 degrees.

Take the now very spongy dough and 'knock back'.

Make 6 balls of dough and roll out as thin as you can. I place on baking paper too to make transferring easy. (You could use flour if you are more coordinated than me...)

Add your toppings and bake until it looks ready.

Never buy pizza again...







No comments:

Post a Comment